Friday, September 5, 2008

Day 50: 1 August 2008



The End. 50 pages, 50 days is done. What a great experience. I would advise anyone now to take a journey like this, especially if you like surprises and self-discovery.

Now what? Well I was thinking as I neared the final few days that I would have to “get back” to other artwork now. Much to my surprise, yet another surprise, I thought of what else I might have done in this time. I listed four small watercolour paintings and near completion of an 18 x 22 watercolour Frothy Tiger Moth painting. In addition, I finished one roll of colour film, one roll of bl/wh, processed and catalogued the images from four rolls in total, and shot and catalogued about 100 digital shots. I printed in final, four flower 8 x 10 colour prints and three art cards. I also practised architect lettering and researched four other fonts to practice for hand lettering. I learned to make and use my own brushes in Photoshop. I learned to create a blog and post to Flickr. I have also finished my research and decision making on the flower type for a 5 ft. by 6ft. fabric art which is midway. I have reviewed some of my initial design work for a book of poetry a friend wishes me to illustrate and pushed my thinking to the next percolation way station. I finished reading the lion’s share of The Pen and Ink Book by Jos A. Smith and Illustration by J. Morgan . I also finished Skinny Legs and All by Tom Robbins and began Moby Dick by Herman Melville. I read two PhotoShop magazines, an Art Review and a Bl/Wh Special Edition. Then there’s all the web stuff. I wrote a short story. I have a job which is 40+ hours a week, Mary Ellen’s cancer care, an aging dog with mega allergies, family and friends, and a three story Victorian house which I had painted during this time.

So reading this list, I have decided to take the afternoon off….well maybe… LOL.

I bought two new sketch books three days ago to get ready for the next leg of the journey. What I would really like to do is to practice with various materials and see what I can do with that. I want to fully understand my pens and the lines I can get out of them. I want to better understand paper. Vacation is coming and I want to do a 22 x32 drawing of some type of animal with an intricately decorated skin. I also want to paint an acrylic rendering of a friend’s dog who died this spring. I would love to finish the Frothy Moth and the fabric art. I also want to carve some more on a large lino landscape. I want to post the entire 50 days, 50 pages to my blog. I want to learn to use painterly strokes overlaid on bl/wh photos I have taken and possibly consider that for some silk screen. I am dying to create some highly textured stone columns for the garden and to lay into the grass the cement leave stepping stones I created last year.
So, off I go...it's exciting.....

1 comment:

  1. You're a busy person... This frog is totally awesome, was what I wanted to say at first!

    ReplyDelete